[QGIS-Developer] Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 12 21:03:30 PST 2020

On 2/3/20 1:10 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 2/2/20 9:52 AM, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
>> Here's a nice Sunday news: Ubuntu 20.04 (ETA end of April) will ship with
>> gdal 3 (at the moment 3.0.3, hopefully will be 3.0.4 by release day to fix
>> a nasty bug) and proj 6.3.
>
> gdal (3.0.4+dfsg-1) is still in the proposed pocket, so it is not
> included in focal yet, see:
>
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal
>
> The update excuses show a regression in the autopkgtest for postgis
> which is a blocker for migration out of the proposed pocket, it is also
> too young (< 5 days), see:
>
>  https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/focal/update_excuses.html#gdal

The people who actually use Ubuntu and want to have GDAL 3 in the next
LTS, you should work with the Ubuntu people to get gdal (3.0.4+dfsg-1)
out of the proposed pocket before the Feature Freeze on February 27th.
[0] Otherwise focal will likely ship with gdal (2.4.3+dfsg-1).

In Debian we had an issue with openscenegraph picking up the newer coin3
which complicated migration to testing, but that was resolved by a
Release Team member [1]. Something similiar may be a blocker in Ubuntu.
Getting in touch with their Release Team is good start. [2]

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2020/01/msg00477.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam

Kind Regards,