[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Documentation bot

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 02:25:04 PST 2020

Hi Matthias

Le mar. 7 janv. 2020 à 09:14, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Thanks a lot for this Denis. Having the technical base system for this set
> up is a good step forward!
>
> The biggest advantage of this itself is the direct *link from the
> documentation issue to the pull request* (instead of a commit message as
> previously).

One click saved. but I agree, the route to the PR is not always obvious to
everyone, particularly if we want to attract beginners.

> I think instead of trying to push the developer to directly work on the
> documentation (which is something that not everyone in the documentation
> team is stoked about either) is to push them towards writing a nice pull
> request message which - in the best case - can be copied (and rst'ified) by
> someone from the documentation team. In the worst case it needs rewriting
> but at least the documentation team has a place (the pull request) to
> hassle the dev for more information.

Please Matthias, no, not you. You are among the devs regularly
writing/answering to docs in recent years. Do you really think there are
people in the docs team that are against developers working on the
documentation repository?

> My proposals for the two comments are something like
>
> Pull request (after merge):
>
> > Because this pull request has been tagged as needs documentation, a new
> [issue has been opened](linktoissue). Please make sure that the
> documentation team has enough information by updating the description of
> this pull request with readable and understandable content, supported by
> images and screenshots where appropriate. Thank you for making documenting
> this as easy as possible and for working with the documentation team.
>

> Issue (on docs side):
>
> > A [pull request which requires documentation](linktopr) has been merged.
> Refer to the description in the pull request. If you have open questions,
> do not hesitate to ask them to @author-of-pr.
>

> The original description can be copied to the doc issue or not, I'm not
> sure what's better (keeping it only in the PR has the advantage that it's
> in a single place and if modified after merge we don't have two different
> copies).
>

> I'm OK with both suggestions and I think that keeping all the necessary
information at a single place could be better (I mentioned the copy because
this is what I had in mind regarding the grant discussion).

> About the target version / milestones. If Richard and Harissou already up
> to now kept a mapping of master -> milestone up to date, we could consider
> to keep this going. Having a simple mapping of "target branch" to "doc
> milestone" (e.g. master -> 3.12, release-3_10 -> 3.10, ...) somewhere
> sounds not too convoluted. Or maybe Jürgens release scripts could do that
> even in an automated way.
>

> Anything that ensures the information is filled automatically is good to
me.

> In the end, this process has to work for the documentation team, please
> take these ideas with a grain of salt. In my opinion we want to have 1) a
> good draft by the dev and 2) a communication channel for documentors. Let
> us know what works best for you, documentation team and to what degree you
> want devs to be involved with actual writing.

I personally share your desire. I've complained about the lack of bridges
between developers and writers so I'm not going to spit on efforts that
would improve the situation...
About the degree of involvement of developers in actual writing, as long as
I know, QGIS is a community driven project. Meaning that if I want, I can
contribute to code, to docs, to website, to discussion, to everything...
Why would there be a restriction for some people because they are "tagged"
developers? I think everyone should be allowed to submit the changes he
feels is improving the documentation, either through PRs to docs,
description to code PRs or answering questions... As I said earlier, if the
developers feels comfortable in writing about their changes, please do. The
only thing is that the same way there are rules in contributing to QGIS
repo, there are some in QGIS-Documentation and we need to deal with them.
But why should these be a barrier to not write?
That said, I'm *not* the documentation team (*what is the documentation
team actually?*) and it seems there are various opinions on this topic so
let's hear others.

Hope this helps and best regards

It does.

Regards,