[QGIS-Developer] Download speed osgeo4w

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Jan 9 08:36:57 PST 2020

Hi,

I was trying to download some files from the osgeo4w repository, where I
get roughly 200 KB/s. From other places I easily get 5 MB/s through my
current connection.

I tested the following (randomly chosen) 150MB file:

http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/qgis/qgis-pdb/qgis-pdb-3.8.3-1.tar.bz2

Mainly I wonder if

- we could speed up our azure builds where installation of the qgis
build deps takes a reasonable amount of time

- we could improve the installation time for people testing nightlies

- Is this a local issue or is this everywhere like this?

- Are there mirrors in place for these download servers?

- Is there a CDN in place?

It would be nice if this could be easily improved (if it's actually a
problem and not just here)

Best regards

Matthias