[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] Qgis crashes while loading WMTS layers

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun Jan 26 06:04:59 PST 2020

Hi Patrick,
I can't comment on the core issue, but just a point for clarification -
I thought Swap memory usage was something the operating system dealt
with? Isn't it usually transparent to the application?

A quick search indicates that what GIMP calls swap is really a bespoke
folder for GIMP to store temporary files (in a fashion similar to
virtual memory/swap) rather than the system swap file; FME does this too
(they call it a "temporary directory").

I can certainly see why that would have value - it looks like QGIS has
one, at least for temporary outputs -
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/28222 - but whether it's as well
used as it should be I leave for others to comment on (I have no idea
what it's used for).

Cheers,
Jonathan