[QGIS-Developer] Not all QGIS 3.10.2 downloads did contain the upgraded GDAL and PROJ versions (Re: What GDAL and PROJ versions with 3.10.2?)

pergler at gmail.com pergler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 05:02:54 PST 2020

Thank you for the follow-up, Raphael.

I'm now up to date and all works for me.

My original message was just before the mad scramble to re-release 3.10.x
with 3.0.3 and 6.3.0 (and in fact may together with the associated bug
reports have prompted it).

My appreciation to the developers for the quick followup (doubtless
displacing whatever Nyall et al meant to be doing last week..), and for
doing their best to maintain a complex and very capable geospatial software
ecosystem. Not easy, in the open-source or commercial software environments.

I think there are lessons to be learnt about what should trigger (and, on
the flip side, be allowed in) _._._-x, _._.x, and _.x releases. In
particular, given the criticality I suspect it would have been better to
withdraw 3.10.2 and issue the fix as 3.10.3. And (earlier) to not try to
backport the Proj4->Proj6 shift into QGIS 3.4.x at all. (And maybe to not
change custom projection functionality as much between 3.10.1 and 3.10.2,
waiting until 3.12.) But I realize we were scrambling to fix the darn thing
rather than splitting hairs on versioning, and I think we can wait for the
devs' PTSD symptoms to abate somewhat before conclusive postmortems!

Thanks again,

Martin