[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Environmental policy

Marco Bernasocchi marco at opengis.ch
Tue Jan 28 10:04:51 PST 2020

Hi Nyall and sorry for Joining the trad so late

On 17.01.20 00:07, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 21:20, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>> * do we need an explicit environmental policy?
> Why not? We do have some power here, in that we provide a desirable,
> mature, well respected product. The QGIS project adopting an explicit
> environmental policy (in whatever form that takes) does give a good
> message to other projects and even to our users that this is a serious
> issue.
I absolutely agree with you here

>> * probably our greatest impact is travel for Developers Meetings
>>   * do we need in person general meetings, or we can promote more
>> extensive and structured use of remote connections?
> Here's a point I'm stuck on. I strongly believe that these in-person
> meetings are crucial for QGIS, and have gone a long way to promote the
> growth, friendliness, and welcoming nature of the community. Removing
> them **would** harm the QGIS project. It's been a number of years now
> since I've been able to attend one in person, and I'm feeling the
> disconnect from the community as a result.
I also feel the in person meeting are a great enrichment to the project.

> I REALLY want to attend the Nodebo meetup/conference later this year,
> but at the same time I'm consciously aware of how bad the impact of
> the flight from Australia to Europe is (and there's zero alternative
> options available for this). I'm honestly not sure what the right
> choice for me to do is here...

I can totally feel you there, for myself I've the same issue when I fly
for work or yes (let's be honest at times also for leisure)

Something I've started doing already 5 years ago is _at least_ to carbon
offset all my flights through myclimate.org. I know it is not the
solution but it can't hurt. I'm considering now to offset my (and
OPENGIS.ch) total foot print

Cheers

Marco

--