[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and Qt 6: A proposal

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jul 6 06:21:43 PDT 2020

Another thought is the spectre of "long term stable" OS releases.

In various projects, I run into people who choose to run old software
(otherwise known as "using a LTS distribution"), but at the same time
insist on compiling the most recent release of X, and they expect X to
build against old things.   I'm not a fan of this, but it seems to be a
signficant part of Linux culture.

So qgis will have to think about how long qgis will build:

  against older qt5 stable branches (5.12?)
  against qt5 5.15

because stopping that will more or less mean people that choose old
software can't easily run recent qgis (unless they use a secondary
packaging system like pkgsrc that builds it all).   I think this is
fine; if you want old, therefore the older qgis is fine.  But many
people want it both ways.