[QGIS-Developer] Explicit policy re bug fixing responsibilities after new features

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:13:58 PDT 2020

Hi list,

I'm after feedback on whether or not others think an explicit
policy/contract regarding bug fixing responsibilities for new features
is a good idea or not.

I would like to see something like this added to the developer guidelines:

"Following any new feature development, it is the original developer's
(or organisations) SOLE responsibility to implement bug fixes relating
to the new feature (or regressions to other parts of QGIS which have
resulted from its development). This extends up to the next major QGIS
release following the feature being merged*. It is NOT acceptable to
use QGIS.org sponsored bug fixing efforts to implement these fixes.
Failure to provide fixes to all reasonable bug reports raised for a
new feature may lead to that feature being reverted prior to release."

*i.e. currently 3.14

Personally, I think having this as part of our developer agreement
would help clear up some ambiguity and source of frustration/conflict
between developers.

Thoughts?

Nyall