[QGIS-Developer] Profiler?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:41:32 PDT 2020

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 20:01, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> I happen to see a little 'clock' tab in the 'dev tools' in master on
> Debian, and see it is some kind of startup profiler...?
> The dev tols are getting better and better :-)

Yeah! Full credit goes to Nathan Woodrow here, this panel just exposes
a profiling tool he added a while back.

> I do have an issue with long startup times on Windows at a client
> working with a cytrix setup (though I guess it is a general
> python/startup issue there),

This is EXACTLY the kind of issue this was added for! I also see
occasional 5 minute+ startup times on Windows (bare metal installs)
and would like to get this resolved for 3.14. (It's a bad experience
for users, and when things are working correctly QGIS should startup
in a couple of seconds at most. Our (usual) speedy startup is
something which differentiates us from a certain other desktop GIS
application ;)

> but was wondering if this would come to the
> Windows world too... (technically different?)?

It will, it's just that the Windows nightly builds are too old to have
it. It looks identical to your screenshot.

On that note, 12 seconds is a long time for the plugin load I see in
your screenshot. Can you expand that out and see if it narrows down
the culprit?

Nyall