[QGIS-Developer] Issues running Grass r.plane

Catania, Luke A ERDC-RDE-GRL-VA CIV Luke.A.Catania at erdc.dren.mil
Mon Feb 1 09:46:25 PST 2021

Sylvain,

Thanks.  I did manage to set region in the advanced parameters section.  Changed that and then also realized I had web Mercator as the northing and easting point and geographic extent which put my result out in some other area.  I changed extent to web Mercator and got an good result.

Though when I generate the plane with azimuth of 25 degrees and then run the aspect tool to verify the azimuth that reports 335, which looks like is because r.plane measures in counter clockwise direction where I am used to nort being zero and  then going clockwise.

I would think the coordinate parameter on the plane would be used as a line of bearing and the result would slope up from that which is what I actually need so I need to figure out how to use this tool for my use.

Initially before I found r.plane, I  had found a formula to calculate a constant sloping plane and was using several tools to create what I want but am not getting a correctly sloping plane, so hoping r.plane will work.  I am currently using this formula and the field calculator to create the values in an attribute table and then I rasterize the points using the field value:

height + \
   math.tan(math.radians(slope)) * \
   math.sin(math.radians(aspect)) * longitude + \
   math.tan(math.radians(slope)) * \
   math.cos(math.radians(aspect)) + latitude

Luke