[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] A nice task for a community member: revamping the QGIS github landing page

Martin Pergler pergler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:15:34 PST 2021

Happy to take this on (next week, this week is a bit crazy).
I like all 3 examples given: key thing being leading off much more with an
easy-to-understand, illustrated list of main functionality and use cases.

By way of introduction, 30 years ago I was a software developer, back when
Pascal and C (++ was cutting edge!) were mainstream and Prolog was sexy (at
least for geeks, that is). I then became a mathematician for a while, before
going into business consulting. I've done a fair amount of technical writing
and ran an editorial board for a while. My day job is now risk consulting,
including probabilistic modeling, Excel/VBA, and R. On the side I help
manage and preserve a decent chunk of Canadian wilderness, through which in
the past couple of years I've become more and more involved in GIS. First,
just making a map of the darned thing, but more recently vegetation and
land-use analysis, indexing of research notes and wildlife photos,
automation so others can use it, and even more recently UAV 2.5D mapping.
I'm also a frequent contributor (Q and A) at gis.stackexchange.com

Happy also to work on this 4 (or more) hands if anyone else wants to help
out. Otherwise, I'll sit back this week and accept with gratitude any
additional suggestions of what to cover or how. I'll then come back with a
1st (but doubtlessly incomplete) draft next week.

Martin Pergler

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html