[QGIS-Developer] 3D View Interface Usability

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 03:08:29 PST 2021

Hi Jed

Thanks a lot for your feedback. You have summarized it pretty well - camera
controls in QGIS 3D are indeed largely based on Google Earth controls which
I found relatively intuitive at the time when starting the work in 2017. We
have realized over time that this kind of navigation is not enough for
various use cases, including the one you have mentioned (to look at 20th
floor of a building). There is definitely interest to improve it,
especially with point clouds the limitations in the navigation are much
easier to see.

Editing vector data in 3D is near the top of the wish list for many users,
so I think we will get to it sooner or later :-) Totally agreed that
snapping to point clouds should be available to simplify data capturing.
Probably an option to view the scene from multiple angles at once would be
also useful for good quality editing (e.g. when editing vertices of a
building in 3D).

It looks like you already have ideas how to improve things - I would love
to hear your thoughts how to make the navigation better. Please feel free
to add links to videos of other software where you think the camera control
behaves according to your expectations...

Regards
Martin