[QGIS-Developer] Loading WFS layers from GeoServer (Paul Wittle)

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:57:28 PST 2021

Hi,

I have now resolved the issue I was having and I'm posting in case it helps others.

In terms of ensuring the geometry type / projection is correct I have now moved to use the geometry_columns table (https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/database/oracle.html#using-the-geometry-metadata-table) but that didn't fix my issue.

The real issue was with the Namespace URI in the workspace definition. The URL I had used was actually a URL but it contained the ? character. This character was then being replicated into the XML definition in the WFS GML outputs.

I seems that MapInfo didn't mind this at all but QGIS was being picky for some reason. Given that it is a unique URI rather than a URL I just replaced the question mark with a forward splash and presto it is working now 😊

Perhaps it is worth an update to the docs (https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/webadmin/workspaces.html#edit-a-workspace) to recommend that special characters are avoided but then I'm probably the only person in the world that has ever done it so I'm happy to just say it works and move on if we don't think it needs documenting. I will of course cross post this to the GeoServer mailing list as well as it is not a QGIS issue.

Thanks to those that tried to help me work out the issue and I hope this post is helpful to others.
Paul
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/416433