[QGIS-Developer] Looking for description for the "Zoom to native resolution" tool

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jan 19 08:30:16 PST 2021

On 1/19/21 5:19 PM, DelazJ wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Can any of you help us understand what the "Zoom to native resolution (100%)" tool in map navigation toolbar or View menu does, please?
> It would help us close https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/6441 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/6441>

This is mainly relevant to WMTS/xyz and other tiled images based (online) data sources (for what I know).

Because those tiles actually are server side cached, they have off course one true resolution: in which a 256x256px tile is shown on a 256x256px area of the mapcanvas.

When you load such layers in QGIS, QGIS can rescale those tiles, they will be rescaled then, often not making the image prettier.

The idea of the native resolution is for what I know: select the tiled layer, the select the "Zoom to native resolution (100%)" and then QGIS will switch to one of the (native) zoom level scales of the tiled layer.
It more or less works the same as with the Tile Slider.

Maybe (others plz confirm) this also works this way for raster images like geotiffs...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde