[QGIS-Developer] Feature discussion

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Thu Jul 1 01:35:34 PDT 2021

Hi,

I suspect this has already been asked a few times but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is there a feature request to get a dialogue box to appear when saving a project?

I'm asking because if the knock on impact of Covid is more people working from home and using home broadband then I feel like there may need to be a greater level of user feedback. To give an example if I take a project file of about 4MB and save it locally it is finished in seconds (definitely under a minute) but if I take the same project file and save it to a network location via a VPN then the save time is longer; say a minute or two. Based on my investigation this seems to match up with peoples home broadband as in the UK the upload speed is pretty variable / often quite poor when compared with download speeds.

I think it would be useful if there was a dialog that appears if a part of the process takes longer than x seconds. The dialog might say:

  *   Creating project file
  *   Saving to disk
  *   Saving backup

I think those are the main tasks involved in the save but it would be useful if the user is told that it is saving to disk but taking a while as hopefully they will then investigate their connection speed first.

Not to worry if this has already been discussed and rejected but I thought I'd ask to see what the options / opinions are.

Thanks,
Paul

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/data-protection