[QGIS-Developer] Loading many Excel-Files in QGIS with correct encoding

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jul 14 23:33:22 PDT 2021

Hi,

I have a bunch of MS Excel .xls files in the old format (hundreds of
files), not the new .xlsx format.

The content of the .xls files seems to be UTF-8 encoded, but QGIS loads
them with some LATIN-x encoding - all of the non-ASCII-characters look
garbled.

I want to process these files with Processing and merge them into one
file.

Is there any way how I can load these files with the correct UTF-8
encoding? I know, there is an algorithm to set the correct encoding of a
layer in processing, but unfortunately this doesn't work with
multi-layer input, only with single layer input.

Is there some OGR trick (environment variable or opening option) to load
the files with correct encoding?

Thanks if you have any hint,

Andreas