[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and privacy

Thomas B rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:05:27 PDT 2021

Hi Matteo,
can you give an example when exposing the username could be problematic?

As far as I know other common programs like Word, Excel and so on also add
your full name as author to the metadata of every Word- or Excel file you
create.
I think this is something very useful if you work with others within one
company. If you send these files to someone else and want to get rid of
these metadata you can delete this metadata information.

I agree that exposing sensitive data would be problematic but sharing the
username does not seem to be something too private. Your full name for
example also appears in this mailing list or as part of your twitter
account. So under which circumstances would it be problematic if your name
would be written to a QGIS project file?

regards,
Thomas