[QGIS-Developer] Changes in Python versions on QGIS 3.18

Pedro Camargo c at margo.co
Wed Mar 24 18:06:44 PDT 2021

Hello,

I have posted this to the users' list, but apparently, this is the right place to go (thanks for pointing that out, Nicolas.

I have noticed that QGIS 3.18 for Windows has shipped with Python 3.9, after having updated to 3.8 just a couple of versions ago.

As a plugin developer, it becomes very difficult to track things and make sure plugins are up-to-date in the face of changing Python versions, especially when the move is to a bleeding-edge version such as 3.9 right now.

I also perused GitHub and this mailing list and saw that Python 3.7 is the minimum version for *nix systems, so I am a little at loss with this move to Python 3.9 with QGIS for Windows.

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/197

What channels should I be plugged into to learn about these changes and offer input as a plugin developer?  Is there such a channel?

Cheers,

Pedro