[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Developer support channels

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Oct 4 13:41:41 PDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 01:02:22PM +0200, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On 21.09.2021 07:55, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> > I would be ok with both IRC, but I think a #qgis-dev channel on either
> > matrix.org or matrix.osgeo.org would do.
> > There are proper matrix clients for web and phones ( even for Linux phones ;-) ).
>
> Do you have an overview of matrix activities?
>
> https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/support.html says "point your browser
> to (https://matrix.to/#qgis:osgeo.org
> <https://matrix.to/#qgis:osgeo.org>)" which is an invalid link.

That's probably my fault, the actual link is probably:

  https://matrix.to/#/#qgis:osgeo.org

Note the double hash. I remember one day one client failed to accept
the double hash as a valid URL so I tried the single-hash version and
it worked, and I assumed it would keep working, which was evidently
wrong.

> https://app.element.io/#/room/#qgis:osgeo.org says "QGIS.org QGIS
> Official Matrix room | bridged to IRC and Gitter" but it does not bridge
> to Gitter.

I can take a look at the Gitter bridge, could be a temporary issue.

> Instead, https://app.element.io/#/room/#qgis_QGIS:gitter.im is the one
> that does bridge to Gitter but has pretty much no traffic.

That's not a "plumbed" bridge, but rather a "portal" to gitter.
Matrix also supports "portals" to IRC, with links like:

  https://matrix.to/#/#qgis:libera.chat

The difference is that "portals" will obey to access control list
defined by the target, while "plumbed" rooms would obay to rules
defined on Matrix itself. I know, it is confusing :)

> Looks like some consolidation might be helpful but I'm not sure how / if
> that is possible.

Yes it is possible

--strk;