[QGIS-Developer] Docs/Instructions for Filter/Query Builder

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Oct 24 02:56:04 PDT 2021

Hi Harrissou,

Indeed this is the dialog that you got when you had a WFS layer in earlier versions like 3.16:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_properties.html#id14

But now you get the SQL Query Composer (see screenshot)

To see, get the 'provincies' layer from WFS:
https://geodata.nationaalgeoregister.nl/bestuurlijkegrenzen/wfs
and in legend click 'Filter',
which (and that's my point) is very, very technical for average users (I think).

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/core_plugins/plugins_db_manager.html#working-with-the-sql-window is another one but that one IS for databases, while the 'FILTER' was just for simple filters...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps sorry, I missed your reply as apparently my subscription was postponed because of bouncing...

Le 23/10/2021 à 14:02, Richard Duivenvoorde a écrit :
> I've just been asked by some average QGIS user (unknown to SQL queries) how to create a simple filter like cityname='foo' for a vector layer.
>
> That was almost impossible for that person, unaware of SQL...
> We could not find any part of documentation for the SQL Query Builder dialog, and we also couldn't find the old (more user oriented) 'query builder' anymore (which does have documentation).

I'm not aware of any removal of this kind of info in the docs in the
recent years.

 From the layer properties, Source tab, Query builder dialog (or
ctrl+F), I can still access
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_properties.html#query-builder.
Is that one you were looking for? (OK, not really SQL but if the user
accepts to first load the layer, this should address most of the cases).

There's also the SQL filter from DBManager
(https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/core_plugins/plugins_db_manager.html#working-with-the-sql-window)
whose features, from my understanding, are meant to be brought to the
Browser new SQL builder. Just not yet finished...

Regards,

Harrissou