[QGIS-Developer] Plugin Developers Who Don't Want to Add Capabilities - Go2NextFeature

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Sep 15 09:59:58 PDT 2021

Hi Calvin,
thanks for submtting this. I'm fully with you: duplicating work is
wasteful for devs and confusing for users, boring for maintainers so bad
for everybody. In my experience, insisting for merging works is
sometimes successful, and if so the advantages are quite evident. Please
let us know if you feel core team could help.
Cheers.

Il 15/09/21 14:47, C Hamilton ha scritto:
> I am faced with somewhat of a delima. This QGIS plugin is used by some
> of our analysts.
>
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/Go2NextFeature3/
> <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/Go2NextFeature3/>
>
> Those analysts would like some additional features including automatic
> snapshoting of the canvas and saving it as an image for each feature.
> Something like this has been asked for by other users of the plugin
> over 2 years ago. See the issues.
>
> https://gitlab.com/albertodeluca/go2nextfeature/-/analytics/issues_analytics
> <https://gitlab.com/albertodeluca/go2nextfeature/-/analytics/issues_analytics>
>
> In the comments of "Future of Plugin" the developers have made it clear
> that they want to keep the plugin simple. Probably because of this
> policy I see that someone else created a Go2NextFeaturePlus geared for
> OSM work and it is labeled as experimental.
>
> I don't like replicating capability, but given that a plugin developer
> is unwilling to make any significant changes, how do you feel about
> another similar plugin be developed that has the additional capability
> that we need. I am not sure how to handle this situation. I don't think
> it would take much time to create a new plugin to do this with the
> expanded capabilities.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Calvin

Paolo Cavallini
www.faunalia.eu - QGIS.org
training, support, development on QGIS, PostGIS and more