[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server WFS 1.1.0 response XML - properties with xsi:nil="true"

pathmapper pathmapper at posteo.de
Mon Sep 20 03:10:59 PDT 2021

Hi,

for a property with NULL value, QGIS Server WFS 1.1.0 includes this
property with xsi:nil="true" in the response XML.

I noticed this, because other WFS server software is omitting these
properties with NULL values.

Having a dataset with lots of features and properties with NULL values,
the data size of the XML response document increases significantly
compared to omitting and not including them in the XML response.

After digging a lot trough OGC specs, mailing lists, and gh issues I
still didn’t find an answer to the questions

a) if QGIS Server is complying to the WFS 1.1.0 spec doing so
and
b) why QGIS Server is doing this?

According to [1] omitting the properties “is by design, as it's a WFS
specification“. Unfortunately the mentioned link to a thread on an OGC
mailing list isn‘t working anymore (nabble.com shut down).

Would be great if someone can give an insight.

Cheers,
Bjoern

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/25507256