[QGIS-Developer] Problems with MAC and OneDrive

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 23:26:12 PDT 2022

Hi Allen,

It is possible to use GeoPackages and synchronise them across multiple
devices/platforms (including mobile devices through https://inputapp.io
which is based on QGIS) using Mergin service (
https://public.cloudmergin.com/ and for your own hosting:
https://github.com/lutraconsulting/mergin). This allows you offline
editing, collaboration with other users and tracking changes.

Kind regards
Saber

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 00:34, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) via
QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Is there versioning control built into OneDrive?
>
> Yes, as you can see here:
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/restore-a-previous-version-of-a-file-stored-in-onedrive-159cad6d-d76e-4981-88ef-de6e96c93893
> you can restore a previous version of a file stored in OneDrive. To what
> means, I don't know, but sharing a SQLite, Spatialite or GPKG on cloud
> storage is really a stress test for the concept of file sharing,
> especially if it's shared (and if you are the same user on two platforms,
> you have to be very very lucky.
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 12:07 AM Patrick Dunford via QGIS-Developer <
> qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll endorse that plus in noting that I have seen tables wiped clean
>> with geopackage where there may be multiple users. Even if there is only
>> one actual user, there is a risk with multiple clients on a file based
>> system because there is no inherent mechanism with the file based layers
>> to handle transactions the way there would be with a DBMS server. SQLite
>> is not recommend over a network for multiple clients.
>>
>> That is separate from the other point which is that any one local client
>> can overwrite the cloud version which is risky. Is there versioning
>> control built into OneDrive?
>>
>> On 5/04/22 03:33, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) via QGIS-Developer
>> wrote:
>> > Could you please provide some more info about the format of the data?
>> > I think your question does not imply using a DBMS server which I could
>> > suggest in this case. Sharing a file that can be updated on a remote
>> > file system involves some (risky) reaction, but cloud storage is
>> > different, it involves syncronisation and I think it requires some
>> > planning and careful evaluation of the consequences of the choices of
>> > every participant in the workgroup. If you synchronise the empty file
>> > towards a non-empty version... you get an empty file.
>> > Maybe you can recover the work looking to all the revisions of the
>> > same file on Onedrive. Good luck.

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk