[QGIS-Developer] Funding and PR review

Alexis R.L. alroyliz0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 05:23:58 PST 2022

Greetings Everyone,

Some points have been going through my head and I was curious to know if
there could be good ideas in them for discussion and opportunities.

One aspect that can irk new and existing contributors (or maybe just
myself) is when it comes to PR reviews. As some work on either side is done
on a voluntary basis we can't expect competent and overworked devs to want
and to dedicate more time on some work that won't benefit them.

On the other hand we also get pr that get stuck or staled out.

Now I was thinking of creating a crowdfund to raise some funds for reviews
( I don't want to profit monetarily from any of my work). But I don't want
to be stuck managing funds and doing PR and etc.

Now I know that QGIS has some devoted funds for bugfixing and PR reviews to
this effect. But I was curious to know if it would be a good idea to
advertise the work (possibly in the news feed?) that would benefit from
bugfixing or PR reviews.

I'm not sure if dividing things and separating funds on a issue or category
(bugfix vs feature vs ?) would be beneficial. But showcasing what they can
gain from doing a contribution would probably be helpful rather than giving
for general support.

Just my two cents, I also wish everyone a good new year of developping!

Alex