[QGIS-Developer] WKT, but is EWKT an unwanted (Q)GIS family member?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jan 7 06:44:20 PST 2022

On 1/7/22 15:09, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> Is there a definition of what the SRID code in EWKT means without the context of an srid database like postgis has. Is it always an EPSG code?

Thanks Matthias for your input.

Mmm, this page [0] says:

"The EWKT format is not an OGC standard, but an PostGIS specific format that includes the spatial reference system (SRID) identifier"...

To be honest I was not even aware that it was PostGIS specific... In the world of "in excel or txt file exchanging peeps", EWKT is mostly just to distinct between latlon and national crs...

And in SRID:4326 I always silently read EPSG:4326...
But you are probably right: it is always SRID... would be better to have 'REGISTRY':4326, so it can be EPSG:4326 or QGIS:4326 etc etc

I would be in favour of having such a OGC spec with proper definition...

And if that in place: please call it by it's name: toEWKT and fromEWKT (and not the 'stringToReferencedGeometry' proposal :-) )

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://postgis.net/docs/ST_GeomFromEWKT.html