[QGIS-Developer] "Loaded project file was meanwhile changed"... how to handle

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 11 03:27:13 PST 2022

Hi Devs,

I have a plugin which set's a custom-property in a layer, AND then saves the project (pyqgis/plugin), just to be sure the property is actually written in it...

But now I get the screenshot's message: "Loaded project file was meanwhile changed ..." when I try to save the project within QGIS gui itself after that.

What is in this the best way to handle this?

- should I NOT save the project (and maybe 'loose' my carefully set custom props because the user just does not save the project when quitting or loading another one)

- should I ask the user to: "This would save your QGIS project too, are you sure", but then writing the project in pyqgis should result in the popup message?
(or I could also ask the user to do this: "Please save your project now, to be sure it saves your additional layer info")

- should/can we 'reload' the project when you save it via pyqgis?

- should we ask the user to reload the project after a save?

or are there other options to handle this (I think not very uncommon) use case?

Thanks for any insights

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde