[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and WebAssembly

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Mar 22 01:33:39 PDT 2022

On 2022-03-18 00:36, Martin Dobias via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> I am very keen to hear what you think about QGIS and WebAssembly. In
> the coming days I would like to also get the build system and my hacks
> available in a git repo, so that others can start to play with it...

Hi Martin,

Supercool demo!!!! :-)

But (I always but...), some questions for the project:

I think this pushes us to the technical limits of browsers. with that
also performance wise to the limits of QGIS?
Like people are now asking for/using QGIS on chromebooks and (smaller)
ARM devices: is that still really workable?

As a technical pet project, it is cool, but can we keep the promise of a
GIS in a browser?
Or do we end up with a poor performing (or only working for small sets)
of QGIS?

Or should we put more money/energy in makin QGIS more modular so you can
use certain modules for a small viewer and the full Monty for a true
GIS?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde