[QGIS-Developer] Fwd: [gdal-dev] Announcing SOZip: Seek-Optimized profile for the .zip format

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jan 9 09:06:54 PST 2023

 > Very cool project, Even! (Why not "Cloud-Optimized" though? 😉 )

The term is heavily loaded and quite vague. SOZip doesn't make something
cloud unfriendly magically cloud friendly. If you need to seek at 100
different locations in a (uncompressed) file, you'll need to also seek
at 100 locations in its SOZip compressed version (which is
excruciatingly slow for a regular non-optimized ZIP). SOZip will shine
most for local use cases, where this seeking in the underlying
compressed stream is a cheap operation. For remote use, your mileage may
vary.

--
http://www.spatialys.com