[QGIS-Developer] Revert Previous Plugin, disable "Upgrade All" and "Upgrade Plugin" buttons

Catania, Luke A ERDC-RDE-GRL-VA CIV Luke.A.Catania at erdc.dren.mil
Wed Jan 11 18:20:55 PST 2023

It would probably be more the other way around for my case. I will have to modify the calls from my front end UI for my tool to work properly with their plugin and that is how I kind of expect it as I am making calls to their code.  We plan to have quarterly releases cycles of our code with new features/bug fixes unless there is some major issue found in the 3rd party plugin that requires a hotfix.

I was hoping to avoid forking and have to maintain 3rd party plugin.  We may be looking to transition to a version of Visibility Analysis in GRASS that is a core plugin that was developed inhouse almost 40 years ago, but in the mean time I tried another method as a test. I copied the VisibilityAnalysis plugin to another directory, VA_Test, so I can mess with privileges on a copy of the plugin directory.

Looks like if I deny write privileges to the VA_Test the Upgrade Plugin button just displays as Reinstall Plugin since it does not allow an upgrade and it is actually greyed out so that is good. The user can still run the Upgrade All plugin and that will upgrade all other plugins.  When I ran that it upgraded the original  VisibilityAnalysis plugin directory and all other plugins that had upgrades available.  So this seems like this will be a quick fix.  I will just need to make those permission restrictions in the my installer MSI file and test it out.  This in general could be a good solution to prevent user’s from upgrading plugins that we provide with our install, so that users don’t just continue to upgrade before we test to make sure they work so we can avoid unnecessary tech support called.