[QGIS-Developer] Documentation of QGIS3.ini structure/schema?

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Thu Jun 29 01:35:53 PDT 2023

Hey guys,

I am trying to polish the Profile Manager plugin
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/profile-manager/ and am having sliiight
troubles with the QGIS3.ini structure. Looking at a naturally grown
profile I found 5 different places in which configuration is stored for
one single WFS connection, mostly redundantly and I wonder if this is
documented somewhere?

Here is an example:

[connections]
ows\items\WFS\connections\items\foo\authcfg =
ows\items\wfs\connections\items\foo\dpi-mode = All
ows\items\wfs\connections\items\foo\http-header = @Variant(\0\0\0\b\0\0\0\0)
ows\items\wfs\connections\items\foo\ignore-axis-orientation = false
ows\items\wfs\connections\items\foo\version = auto

[qgis]
WFS\foo\authcfg=
connections-wfs\foo\dpiMode = All
connections-wfs\foo\ignoreAxisOrientation = false
connections\WFS\foo\authcfg =
connections\WFS\foo\password =
connections\WFS\foo\username =

I assume that this is from different versions of QGIS? When I created a
new profile in 3.32 I only got lines in the [connections] section and
they were all lowercase. With 3.16 I got entries under [qgis].

- Is the QGIS3.ini structure documented somewhere?
- Are changes between versions documented?
- Is there a way to find out which QGIS version a QGIS3.ini file was
written with?
- Is the structure stable within point releases?
- How far does backwards compatibility go and which entries take
precedence when they are referencing the same thing?

Cheers, Hannes

--
Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Aufwind durch Wissen!
Web-Seminare und Online-Schulungen
bei der www.foss-academy.com

WhereGroup GmbH