[QGIS-Developer] Embedded styling in some datatypes

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:31:14 PST 2023

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 at 17:28, Régis Haubourg via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi Bo,
> Regarding MapInfo, I know the french ministry of environment has tried
something like this years ago.
> It was an attempt to handle the transition period between M and Q.
>
> But honestly the style specifications of each proprietary format are
really hard to interoperate. This leads to partially compatible styles, and
data loss.

> SLD was a promise to have a common standard but I think all the
developers that tried to implement conversion utilities have been having
hard days. Maybe except for Slyr by Nyall.
> Data can be shared across systems. But styles can be shared with very
limited support and this somewhat negates the work of talented
cartographers.

FWIW, symbology can be converted from ArcMap -> QGIS almost completely
losslessly. And from ArcGIS Pro -> QGIS at ≊95% losslessly.  And then from
QGIS -> ArcGIS Pro at ≲ 50%. We've well overtaken Arc in what's possible in
map symbology in recent years. 🥳

Nyall