[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Full Stack Web Developer Report

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:32:20 PST 2023

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 at 00:19, Tim Sutton via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> @Matthias Kuhn and @Julien Moura I fixed the permissions, the board for
Lova is public now. Please feel free to add items to the backlog and mark
them as priority as needed.  I also asked Lova to try to work through all
the old issues and fix / close them as appropriate so we can try to get the
number of tickets down to a small number.

Tim/Lova, thanks for your outstanding efforts and commitment here!

It's really exciting to see all the love and attention that the web and
plugin infrastructure is getting as a result! 😍

Nyall

> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you very much Lova for working on this application, it's a very
important piece in the QGIS ecosystem!

>> For the current discussion, I would also suggest making the license
recommended for now and only start enforcing it on a schedule. And I was
wondering if a license field in the metadata.txt would be even better (cmp.
https://python-poetry.org/docs/pyproject/#license), that would be easier to
show on the plugin page?

>> Is there any way to help prioritizing the issues? I have some wishes
that I would love to see land on the backlog

>> Kind regards and thanks again for all the good work on this !
>> Matthias
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 11:49 AM Julien Moura via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

>>> Dear Tim,
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking in account my thoughts and make the discussion
possible.

>>> Regarding the second about change management, I totally agree and feel
really thankful that you make those changes. I can imagine the work it
represents for your teams maintaining a project like this one. So thank you
again.

>>> Regarding your proposal about the license requirements, why not
starting apply the change management to this? It's a breaking change, even
for new plugins, right? So, it should be lowered to a non blocking warning,
documented in PyQGIS cookbook and then deployed as a blocking error in a
known time windows. This way, in the meanwhile, the plugins ecosystem can
adapt to new rules (new versions for tools like minimal plugin,
qgis-plugin-ci, plugin builder...) and make this change more acceptable and
frictionless.

>>> Moreover, the rationale behind the required license file into the
plugin archive is still not solved.

>>> If you want, I can make a PR to change the warning but I'm pretty sure
that's not the question here.

>>> https://github.com/orgs/qgis/projects/6
>>>
>>> Just to let you know this hyperlink leads to a 404 (probably a Github
rights access setting somewhere).

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> On 24/11/2023 10:50, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Julien
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for your engagement and suggestions. Fully agreed
that breaking changes should be well communicated first. So splitting the
discussion in two:

>>> 1) License requirements: for now I have chatted with Lova and we
propose:

>>> a) Change the logic such that a license is required for newly
registered plugins
>>> b) When updates are made to existing plugins that do not include a
license, the uploader will be shown a warning indicating that in future the
license will  be mandatory

>>> This is already implemented in
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/pull/311 and I propose we deploy this
today / ASAP to address the previously raised issues.

>>> 2) Change management:
>>>
>>> Yes I think we can introduce more rigour in the process.
>>>
>>> * breaking changes: discuss with the community first, implement, deploy
in a known time window
>>> * non-breaking changes: for simple bug fixes, just fix, test and deploy
as needed
>>> * non-breaking changes: for features etc. these will be managed on the
project board here, anyone who wants to be engaged in the process can see
the planned upcomming work and interact with Lova via the ticket queue.
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/issues

>>> Regarding a staging site, currently we do not run a staging
environment, developers have local test environments and I am on the fence
as to whether there is a lot of value in us maintaining a long running
staging site.

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Tim

you. I will also ask Tim if he has suggestions about it.

qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>

yours, so I can't tell if it has to be reverted or not. That's why I ask
for discussion before deploying some breaking change, without any warning
or information. After having looked to others PR, I would like to see more
description about what a PR does exactly, especially when it breaks
something.

undocumented change. For now, a plugin developer has no way to see that a
LICENSE file is now required in its plugin's zip. An error message in a log
is not a suitable information, even it's well formulated and clear,
especially in the era of automated CI/CD deployments.

existing plugin updates, it generates just a warning (but doesn't fail)
when the license file is missing.

new plugin uploads for now. If so, I will also fix the new plugin upload.

behalf of Julien Moura via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>

below as "Make LICENSE file as required in plugin package", because I did
not have any answer there but saw that some changes still have been applied
without any comment.

message related to the deployment of this PR:

plugin compressed archive. Cannot find LICENSE in plugin package.'>

the mainteners but speaking on my own here):
https://github.com/opengisch/qgis-plugin-ci/issues/255

flow, should be discussed before to be implemented (an issue from 1 person
seems to be too light to decide without any discussion), announced to the
community, a warning campaign should be run and a transitional phase should
be implemented (warning for 6 months, then error). This has a direct impact
on hundreds (thousands?) of plugin developers on a community project with
several million end users.

the QGIS Django project hasn't been so dynamic for a few years, it's nice
to see it get a new lease of life, even if it means merging and deploying
on an ongoing basis.

strengthening the control mechanisms (automatic or otherwise) for
extensions on the official repository, but I think it's really important to
do this gradually, or at least to avoid unilateral change "descended from
the skies of the developers".

I'm not really convinced of the interest since most plugins are
contaminated by the GPL2+ of QGIS <-- Qt and the license is never displayed
to the end user. But why not. After all, it's always a good practice to
include licence and spread the word about (re)usage rules.

to lower the level and make it a simple warning and in the meanwhile
starting a communication and preventive work upstream:

https://docs.qgis.org/3.28/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/plugins/plugins.html
released versions after this being merged)

deploy new changes in order to evaluate them before publishing widely? Or
some versioning logic, milestone workflow where PRs are grouped before
being deployed?

plugins website development for this week.

plugins website development for this week.

displayed in the news area of QGIS. The website's repository is available
on GitHub: https://github.com/qgis/qgis-feed

structure or layout. Your suggestions are highly appreciated, as they will
enable us to improve the report's quality and readability. Thank you for
taking the time to review the report.