[QGIS-Developer] Download troubles? Download in the background?

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Tue Sep 19 23:50:14 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Recently (past 1-4 months) I get a lot of emails at finance at qgis.org from
people who say that they donated but then could not download QGIS. I think
I got at least 40-50 such emails until now.

Sometimes they ask: how many times do I have to donate until I can download
QGIS?

I then explain them that donations are optional, often direct them to the
direct download page - and I tell them that downloads may take longer.

I believe that many users aren't aware that QGIS is downloading "in the
background". Because the QGIS downloads are rather large this can take
several minutes ...
Or may there be other problems with downloads? Does it require Javascript
to be enabled?

I wonder if we can display some hint that QGIS is downloaded "in the
background" and can take a while to download ....

I believe this is because many users don't know how their browsers work
with the downloads of large files ...

Is there anything we can do to inform users and enhance the download
experience - so that I don't get that many emails?

Thank you for your replies,
Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann