[QGIS-Developer] Download troubles? Download in the background?

Emma Hain emma at north-road.com
Wed Sep 20 17:56:58 PDT 2023

I think this looks good Nick, could we also put in a link to the QGIS hub
page and to where our links to the users groups are so that sorta provides
some 'support'.
Sorta off topic:
I recently got contacted by someone letting me know they donated so they
could get support - they thought I was the help desk for QGIS...Maybe this
is an indication of some UX/UI is required to send people to our support
pages???

Cheers
Em

On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 01:07, Nick Bearman via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Thanks for highlighting this Andreas.
>
> If I might suggest a tweak to the popup layout:
>
> Thank you!
>
> Your freshly baked copy of QGIS is downloading. (Make this line bold and
> add a paragraph before the next bit)
>
> QGIS is free of charge, and will always be free of charge if downloaded
> from QGIS.org. (and another break here)
>
> If you can afford to support the project and people making this software,
> please consider making a small donation to support our efforts. Whether you
> choose to donate or not, we hope that you enjoy using our labour of love
> and encourage you to share and spread your downloaded copy far and wide so
> that others may enjoy it too. Our very best regards!
>
> The QGIS Team
>
> This might make it a bit more obvious. What do you think?
>
> (I will leave those who are more technical than me to discuss download
> speed issues).
>
> Best wishes,
> Nick.
> On 9/20/23 08:19, Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> ouch!
>
> Javascript is not required for the download. If it is disabled, all OS
> options are expanded and the big green buttons directly point to the files
> anyways. The "donate" popup is only triggered in addition to the normal
> link click (if javascript is enabled).
>
> If the users really just not realise that a download has started, maybe
> making the text that says that QGIS is being downloaded bold on the
> "donate" popup might help? The popup might just be too intrusive and
> distracting even.
>
> Some sites use images to point their users towards the browser's download
> manager, maybe there is a freely available library that does this for all
> kinds of browsers and screens?
>
> Downloads are often painfully slow though and might even time out in bad
> cases I guess. Having some more/faster download mirrors might help. The
> osgeo.org mirror is often unusable (I think it is that mirror that most
> often causes issues, norbit.de usually seems fine for me - from Germany
> though...). Here is one story of a user in South Korea:
> https://fosstodon.org/@ianthetechie/110943928875054838
>
> Maybe users see super slow or failing downloads and think that it is a
> matter of donation.
>
> I am aware of download.osgeo.org and norbit.de mirrors, are there more?
> It would probably be a good idea to have one in Asia and maybe one in
> Africa, depending on the routing. At least for Asia OVH has cheap offers
> that might just be good enough.
>
> PS, if a CDN (probably overkill) would be considered: I am strongly
> against using Cloudflare as they are a global surveillance opportunity for
> the US and we would all be stupid not to assume that any traffic going
> through them is logged by three letter agencies. We should not participate
> in that kind of centralisation. There are alternatives like
> [...]

Emma Hain — Product Manager/Senior GIS Analyst
emma at north-road.com / 0414 512 782
[image: https://north-road.com]
*North Road*
Cartography • Development • Spatial Analysis
*north-road.com* <http://north-road.com>
<https://twitter.com/northroadgeo>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/north-road-studios>
<https://www.facebook.com/North-Road-997236690392419/home>