[Qgis-psc] finances

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Apr 10 00:30:40 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:13:36 +0200
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
> > Yes I agree - we should urge osgeo to implement support for
> > microdonations.
>
> Tyler and Frank didn't seem too eager to modify the current situation,
> but I'll insist. Alternatively, we could keep the two systems
> (microdonations through
>
> https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=xj4TtDtcJClHktUp8po
> WAeskcG7HafygE2T23zUYX2qRNj-1DrrakIYQfee&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f822cfe4b06d0
> a2bc3deaf2f87c377c27f201b3d9033ed5c
> and larger sponsorship through OSGeo), but I'm not in favour of this.
>
> We should also make it clear that although the funds
> > will be earmarked for QGIS, they will be used for purposes at the
> > discretion of the PSC. If people want to donate money to fix a
> > particular bug, they should approach a developer / company offering
> > commercial services directly.
>
> Agreed. I think we should state this clearly on the "Sponsor QGIS" page:
> http://qgis.org/content/view/97/73/
> There we should add a link to OSGeo donations (it is unclear to me,
> however, how one could earmark its donation to QGIS, because Paypal
> button on http://www.osgeo.org/ does not allow a choice.
> I'll investigate this with OSGeo.
>
> > Perhaps we should do some more marketing for the hackfest on the
> > mailing lists. Also I wasnt 100% clear - did you mean we have enough
> > funds to cover those who have currently stated interest in the
> > hackfest (me Marco and Martin?). How many more people could we
> > conceivably accommodate?
>
> We have about 2kUSD, which is enough to pay for the costs of Tim, Marco
> and Martin (estimated 1.200 EUR). Time is short, but I think we can
> raise some more money for additional participants. If it's in Tuscany, I
> can do my best to find a suitable and cheap place to stay.
> Crucial factors are:
> - converging on a date
> - having enough participants.

I will see what date you choose and try to attend as a non programmer for a few
days, too. For me Pisa would be great. I would make it a short holiday and don't
need any funding, so there is more money left for other developers to come.

I will add some notes to the wiki and hope we meet up soon :-)

regards,
 Otto