[Qgis-psc] finances

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Apr 10 00:13:36 PDT 2008

Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Yes I agree - we should urge osgeo to implement support for
> microdonations.

Tyler and Frank didn't seem too eager to modify the current situation,
but I'll insist. Alternatively, we could keep the two systems
(microdonations through
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=xj4TtDtcJClHktUp8poWAeskcG7HafygE2T23zUYX2qRNj-1DrrakIYQfee&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f822cfe4b06d0ea2bc3deaf2f87c377c27f201b3d9033ed5c
and larger sponsorship through OSGeo), but I'm not in favour of this.

We should also make it clear that although the funds
> will be earmarked for QGIS, they will be used for purposes at the
> discretion of the PSC. If people want to donate money to fix a
> particular bug, they should approach a developer / company offering
> commercial services directly.

Agreed. I think we should state this clearly on the "Sponsor QGIS" page:
http://qgis.org/content/view/97/73/
There we should add a link to OSGeo donations (it is unclear to me,
however, how one could earmark its donation to QGIS, because Paypal
button on http://www.osgeo.org/ does not allow a choice.
I'll investigate this with OSGeo.

> Perhaps we should do some more marketing for the hackfest on the
> mailing lists. Also I wasnt 100% clear - did you mean we have enough
> funds to cover those who have currently stated interest in the
> hackfest (me Marco and Martin?). How many more people could we
> conceivably accommodate?

We have about 2kUSD, which is enough to pay for the costs of Tim, Marco
and Martin (estimated 1.200 EUR). Time is short, but I think we can
raise some more money for additional participants. If it's in Tuscany, I
can do my best to find a suitable and cheap place to stay.
Crucial factors are:
- converging on a date
- having enough participants.
All the best.