[Qgis-psc] Rolling out 1.0 - a proposal

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 16 15:20:52 PDT 2008

Hi

I agree with Marco too (even though I practice it poorly). However
- I dont think we have the funds to pay that kind of money (Paolo
would need to confirm this)
- I wasnt proposing to do this on a continual basis for the moment
since Ill be more than likely starting on my contract  in a month or
so
- I'm happy to do it for a month or two while just getting enugh to
cover my bills
- In the future (after my upcoming 6 month contract) it would be
really great to do this sort of QGIS full-timing at a more competive
rate if we could sustainably bring in sufficient funds into the
project - and I would love to work on QGIS full time! I think
eventually having a few paid people working full time on QGIS would
bring the project on by leaps and bounds.

Thanks

Tim

2008/6/16 Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de>:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:50:40 +0200
> "Hugentobler  Marco" <marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is a very good suggestion!
>> However, even if living costs may be very low in South Africa, you should take
>> more than 1000$ a month. One thing that I cannot understand is that sometimes
>> people think that open source programmers should earn much less than
>> programmers of commercial software. I cannot see any reason for this, from
>> what I have seen, open source programmers are often better qualified. So I'd
>> suggest you take 3000$ a month and work as long as finances permit (even then,
>> you are much underpayed!).
>
> +1, I agree with Marco - thanks! We should define a "fair" amount that we can in
> general offer people who a willing to make it a full time job working for QGIS.
> Otherwise we will get problems, if one person only get 1000$, because we don't
> have more and others later, when we have plenty get 5000$. And 1000$ is
> definitely not enough to make a living - 3000$ sound better but would still end
> up in 18$/hour.
>
> regards,
>  Otto
>
>> Regards,
>> Marco

QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
openModeller Desktop Developer
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux