[Qgis-psc] Rolling out 1.0 - a proposal

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Mon Jun 16 03:15:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:50:40 +0200
"Hugentobler  Marco" <marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> +1
>
> This is a very good suggestion!
> However, even if living costs may be very low in South Africa, you should take
> more than 1000$ a month. One thing that I cannot understand is that sometimes
> people think that open source programmers should earn much less than
> programmers of commercial software. I cannot see any reason for this, from
> what I have seen, open source programmers are often better qualified. So I'd
> suggest you take 3000$ a month and work as long as finances permit (even then,
> you are much underpayed!).

+1, I agree with Marco - thanks! We should define a "fair" amount that we can in
general offer people who a willing to make it a full time job working for QGIS.
Otherwise we will get problems, if one person only get 1000$, because we don't
have more and others later, when we have plenty get 5000$. And 1000$ is
definitely not enough to make a living - 3000$ sound better but would still end
up in 18$/hour.

regards,
 Otto