[Qgis-psc] python plugins (was: dxf2Shp plugin)

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Sun Mar 30 13:52:36 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 11:17 PM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I also think it is important to discuss how to deal with a growing
> number of
> plugins. It is likely that more plugins for geospatial analisys will
> appear
> (e.g. I do some work on a plugin for spatial interpolation).
>
> What we need to differentiate is Python plugins and C++ plugins.
>
> For Python plugins I agree with Gary and Tim that new plugins should
> go into
> the repository, because it is straightforward to use the plugin
> installer.
> Maybe even the mapserver export could go to the repository?

We can move it to the repository but there is no reason not to have
'core' Python plugins as well, assuming they are things the QGIS team
wants to support.

> For C++ plugins, I'm not so sure what to do (and btw, the dxf2shape
> plugin is
> a C++ plugin). If we have too many of them in svn, then data volume
> and
> compile time will grow.
> One approach would be to ask the 3rd parties that provide plugin
> code to host
> their C++ plugins on their own website and build binary packages
> themselves.
> The QGIS project would then only maintain a page that contains links
> to the
> 3rd party websites. The drawback of this is that it is harder for a
> user to
> collect the plugins. I therefore think we should still have a
> selection of
> C++ plugins that we consider as very important in svn.

Agreed.

>> I prefer to adopt an approach where when someone whips
>> up a python plugin that proves useful, convert it to c++ and
>> introduce
>> it to core.
>
> I like this approach. The only drawback is the need for a volunteer
> to convert
> the code.
> The geoprocessing python plugin would be a candidate for such a
> conversion.

I really don't see why we should convert a Python plugin to C++. This
seems to say that we consider Python inferior and not a worthy way to
create QGIS extensions. Python plugins can reside in core under the
same conditions/requirements as C++ plugins. I do think we need to
define the steps and requirements for a plugin (whether C++ or Python)
to go into core.

> geoprocessing plugin out of svn because of the python plugin. What
> is your
> position on this? Can it be removed or are you still using (and
> maintaining)
> it?

I will remove it. It was meant as a starter to hopefully get others to
contribute. It appears that is being done now with the Python
Geoprocessing plugin.

> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>

> Am Freitag 28 März 2008 20:47:38 schrieb Tim Sutton:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a different take on this. Im not really a fan of distributing
>> python plugins as they introduce all kinds of new packaging and
>> installation headaches and in many cases introduce arbitary new
>> dependencies. I prefer to adopt an approach where when someone whips
>> up a python plugin that proves useful, convert it to c++ and
>> introduce
>> it to core.
>>
>> Until 1.0 goes out however my feeling is that we should let the
>> python
>> repo kinda do its own thing and establish a life of its own, while we
>> focus on the core goals of getting 1.0 browser functionality stable.
>> Then in the 2.0 cycle we can take a considered approach to building a
>> set of spatial analysis tools natively to QGIS core.
>>
>> Just my 2c
>>
>> Regards
>> Tim

>>> Another possibility is to lure developers of important plugins (I'm
>>> thinking of geoprocessing for instance) int the core team. I believe
>>> more and more essential development will go to plugins, so I do not
>>> think it will be feasible for long to keep all this wealth out of
>>> the
>>> core distribution, and asking users to install them separately.
>>> Futhermore, in multi-users environment having to install plugins for
>>> every user is cumbersome and wasteful.
>>> Anyway, I agree to keep out of core the plugins that we cannot
>>> maintain.
>>> pc
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc
>>> Noi ci troviamo con parecchie difficoltĂ  con NGI http://www.ngi.it/

> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Institute of Cartography
> ETH Zurich
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
-Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting