[Qgis-psc] python plugins (was: dxf2Shp plugin)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sun Mar 30 14:49:46 PDT 2008

Hi

8<------snip-----------

> I really don't see why we should convert a Python plugin to C++. This
>  seems to say that we consider Python inferior and not a worthy way to
>  create QGIS extensions. Python plugins can reside in core under the
>  same conditions/requirements as C++ plugins. I do think we need to
>  define the steps and requirements for a plugin (whether C++ or Python)
>  to go into core.

For me python plugins providing core functionality are a sticking
point. Assuming that we are going to take version 2 of QGIS from being
primarliy a data browser to a more full featured GIS *library* and
GUI, I would prefer that we migrate the 'best of the best' of the
plugins into the c++ core (ie. not even as plugins). That way we make
analytical functions available to 3rd party apps developed around
libqgis_core and libqgis_gui. Having them ported to C++ plugins still
makes this possible with some minor hassles tranferred to the
application developer. Having them kept in python opens a whole world
of integration issues and at the very least makes for a very fat and
cumbersome redistributable application.

For this reason I prefer a strategy of moving great features into the c++ core.

Another issue with python plugin repository I would like to raise is
that we should put in some rather large disclaimers that we take no
responsibility for the plugins. They are a potential security risk
since via QGIS we are facilitating people to download and run arbitary
code on their systems which could contain maliscious or unintentional
negative effects.

I think the python stuff is cool and opens up QGIS to the unwashed
masses, but at the same time I'd prefer we tread carefully and
consider the above issues also competiing goals of an extensible
desktop GIS and a programmers library for creating vertical
applications.

openModeller Desktop Developer
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com