[Qgis-psc] QGIS hackfest in Hannover 19.-22./23. March 2009

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Fri Jan 9 04:40:01 PST 2009

Hi,

some first information about the QGIS hackfest in Hannover and the FOSSGIS
conference [1].

1) At the FOSSGIS conference I organized a short 1 1/2h QGIS User and Developer
meeting. It will be on Wednesday late afternoon (5.30pm - ~7pm). This is a
chance for users to meet QGIS developers during the conference and generally
talk about QGIS ideas, tips, tricks, features and future.

It would be great, if an attending QGIS developer (Marco?) can manage and
organize that FOSSGIS meeting and give a short speech about QGIS features,
development ... before the discussion starts? The conference is usually in
german, but we should try to make the meeting in english. That should be fine
for most people.

2) At FOSSGIS Conference QGIS will also be present with 2 workshops.

a)  Wed 3:30pm-5pm - Introduction in Quantum GIS 1.0 (just before the User and
    Developer meeting)
b)  Thu 11am-12.30 - Extending QGIS 1.0 Functionalities with Python Plugins

3) The FOSSGIS conference will end at about 2pm. I suggest we start the QGIS
hackfest directly after the conference. Maybe there are some people interested
to join the first afternoon after the QGIS Python Plugins workshop.

My idea is to have the official QGIS hackfest from Thu, 19.3 3pm - Sat, 22.3
evening and on Sunday have a brunch somewhere in Hannover. I expect we won't be
more than 10 people, so that should be no problem to find a nice place for that.

I haven't had a chance to talk to people from Hannover University, if they can
give us a room with internet from Tursday afternoon until Saturday evening. I
guess I will know more after 16.1. when we meet again. Anyway we will find some
place :).

4) I plan to announce the meeting only to the developers list, because I have
the impression that the hackfest is a more internal meeting, where hopefully
many QGIS developers meet. And it is not meant to be a QGIS conference open
for anybody, although if there are some interested people, they can join of
course. Is my impression correct? I plan to announce the meeting end of next
week and will add a wiki page for the organization.

Or is there maybe a list of developers I should contact and ask directly?

5) I asked at german FOSSGIS e.V. (german OSGEO local chapter) and they
(probably) support our hackfest with 500 Euro. I guess we can use that money to
pay some travel expenses. Paolo, is there still any money available from the
QGIS project as well?

ok, that's all for now. If you have anything to add/change or more ideas, please
tell me.

regards,
 Otto

[1] http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/wiki/Main_Page