[Qgis-psc] Re: [Qgis-community-team] GIS Tutorial with QGIS

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Tue Jun 16 03:39:39 PDT 2009

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:18:43 +0200
Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Dear community team
>
> We recently completed a job for the Department of Land Affairs, Eastern
> Cape, South Africa, to build an educational resource around QGIS. Otto
> Dassau and myself were the principle authors. The resource also includes
> screencasts and a custom windows installer for QGIS 1.0 with rebranded
> splash screen etc.
>
> One of the conditions of the contract was that all content should be
> under an open license (GPLD for documentation and CCSA for screencasts),
> the idea being that we could integrate the products of this work into
> the QGIS documentation base.
>
> The original work was done in Open Office because I found it easier to
> get the layout etc I wanted. I am in the process of porting it to LaTeX.

good idea. I would love to see the sources structured in the same way we have
the qgis manual and installation guide. One latex file with an image folder for
each topic. I can help working with the migration, of course.

> I would like to import all of these resources into the QGIS SVN (OOo
> documents and Latex sources), and move the videos onto the official QGIS
> web site, as well as pdf versions (see link below).

Maybe it would make sense to leave the original version, also the .odt under
http://linfiniti.com/dla and only host and manage the migrated latex version
and its translations and extensions in the QGIS svn. Otherwise it would
exist twice, or do you finally want to remove it all from your server?

> Ultimately we would
> like to see the community team becoming involved with translations and
> extension of these worksheets. I am also actively seeking funding to do
> this further on a sponsored basis. The resource is available here:
>
> http://linfiniti.com/dla
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on my incorporating these materials
> into the QGIS svn repository (odt. latex docs) and moving the binary
> products (pdf and mov videos) onto the official QGIS website. One thing
> I would ask is to be allowed to place the sponsors logo prominently in
> the resources and on the appropriate web pages.
>
> Once the resource is moved onto QGIS.org (subject to your approval) I
> will start to advertise it more widely to the user community.
>
> Best regards

Regards,
 Otto