[Qgis-psc] GIS Tutorial with QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 16 04:39:55 PDT 2009

Hi

Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Tim Sutton<tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> I would like to import all of these resources into the QGIS SVN (OOo
>> documents and Latex sources), and move the videos onto the official QGIS
>> web site, as well as pdf versions (see link below). Ultimately we would
>> like to see the community team becoming involved with translations and
>> extension of these worksheets. I am also actively seeking funding to do
>> this further on a sponsored basis. The resource is available here:
>>
>> http://linfiniti.com/dla
>>
>> Please let me know your thoughts on my incorporating these materials
>> into the QGIS svn repository (odt. latex docs) and moving the binary
>> products (pdf and mov videos) onto the official QGIS website. One thing
>> I would ask is to be allowed to place the sponsors logo prominently in
>> the resources and on the appropriate web pages.
>
> I had a brief look at it and it's a very impressive education
> material! Great work! Putting it on qgis website and doing some
> promotion seems a good way to go.
> Btw. would it be possible to generate also html export

Yes for HTML export we will do that as part of the general effort to
make the QGIS manual html version.

> and upload the
> videos to youtube?

Yes I plan to put what I can on youtube - I actually uploaded the first
one today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf3C2flu5Gc) - but its a real
struff on our internet connection - it took about 2 or three hours to
get it there. Also some of the videos are longer than the 10min youtube
limit so I either need to re-edit them down to 9m59 or ask youtube for
special permission (I dont know if they even do that).

 It would be more "accessible" as it's simpler and
> faster to see the worksheets and videos directly in browser rather
> than having to download the files.

Right for europe and US where there is an online culture I agree its better.

On the other hand, pdf documents
> and mov videos are better for offline usage. (Just my personal
> thought.)

== most of South Africa :-( But to be sure we will disseminate the
material in every practical way we can.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

- --
Tim Sutton, Linfiniti Consulting
* QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
* Visit http://linfiniti.com for more information
  about the QGIS and FOSS services we provide.
* Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net