[Qgis-psc] Re: [Qgis-community-team] GIS Tutorial with QGIS

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Jun 24 02:13:29 PDT 2009

Hi Otto

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Otto Dassau<otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I created a test version with the first topic for you, so you can have a look,
> if it looks ok. I think it follows pretty much the look and feel of the OO
> worksheets. I tried to keep the styles as simple as possible, so we later won't
> get into too big trouble when we create a html version.
>
> http://www.gbd-consult.de/dassau/muell/test_gis_introduction.pdf

It looks fantastic! Very neat clear and cleanly laid out! Great stuff!

> Still on the list for all QGIS latex documents is the proper conversion to html.
> I would propose, once we have migrated the gis_introduction to latex we find a
> solution for that.
>
> If you are all ok with it, I will go on with the migration step by step...

I'm more than happy, I'm thrilled! :-)

By the way I tried the open office plugin that lets you export to
latex and it  produced some so so output. It might be worth using that
output to cut and paste the general text body into your new templates.
I think the converted stuff I did is already in our linfiniti SVN
repo.

Let me know what I can do to help!

> Regards,
>  Otto
>
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:07:20 +0200
> Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> Otto Dassau wrote:
>> > Hi Tim,

>> > good idea. I would love to see the sources structured in the same way we
>> > have
>> > the qgis manual and installation guide. One latex file with an image folder
>> > for
>> > each topic. I can help working with the migration, of course.
>>
>> Yes it makes good sense to me to follow the standards you have already
>> established in SVN. My main query is whether we can replicate the same
>> look and feel of the worksheets OOo version in LaTeX.

>> > Maybe it would make sense to leave the original version, also the .odt under
>> > http://linfiniti.com/dla and only host and manage the migrated latex version
>> > and its translations and extensions in the QGIS svn. Otherwise it would
>> > exist twice, or do you finally want to remove it all from your server?
>>
>> I think once the LaTeX versions are matching the output quality of the
>> odf's we can get rid of them entirely. No problem to keep them on my
>> server for now too.

>> > Regards,
>> >  Otto
>>
>> Regards