[Qgis-psc] QGIS Polska

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Dec 15 01:34:05 PST 2010

Hi

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi Milena, Borys, Robert
>
> Thank you for your great activities in the QGIS project and in promoting QGIS
> in Poland.
>
>> We started organizing QGIS courses and our question is as follows:
>> Can we sign attendance certificates as "QGIS Polska", confirming them with
>> our names?

My opinion is that we should wait until we have the proper
acreditation in place - we can fast track this part but if we end up
with unofficial QGIS certificates and official QGIS certificates (with
serial numbers etc.) its going to get very confusing. If necessary we
can create a small django app that at least issues unique numbers and
records the recipients name, country, email etc. We can even leave out
the django app part to start and manually keep track of these data on
a protected wiki page somewhere.

To proceed I would suggest that we compile a list of who should be
'grandfathered' in to the certificate list so that we can bootstrap
the process. My Suggestion would be to deal with it on a case by case
basis. Remember in our discussion to reserve certificate #1. Maybe we
should keep 1-50 or so open so that those who get grandfathered in get
a nice low number.

Hope above made sense....

> I think there is no problem with the certificates.
>
> Afaik, the name QGIS is not trademarked (Gary, correct me if I'm wrong), so
> probably even a company which is not related to the project could do the same.
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010, um 00.41:06 schrieb Borys Jurgiel:
>> Some time ago, as a local QGIS team, we established a polish forum, wiki
>> and a blog. "QGIS Polska" and our activity under that brand increased QGIS
>> awarness in Poland. In our opinion it’s time to make QGIS image in Poland
>> even more consistent and easy to identify at local governmental level.
>> Let’s make decision makers life easier :)
>>
>> We started organizing QGIS courses and our question is as follows:
>> Can we sign attendance certificates as "QGIS Polska", confirming them with
>> our names?
>>
>> Milena Nowotarska,
>> Borys Jurgiel,
>> Robert Szczepanek

> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Churerstr. 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
> marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net