[Qgis-psc] how to mention a company

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jan 16 13:46:37 PST 2010

Hi Maxim

2010/1/16 Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to PSC list, and I hope it is a correct place/way to ask. Here
> is the thing:

I think its fine.

> A company is paying for the development for some core&plugins stuff
> and a company wants to be mentioned. As Paolo explained to me, QGIS
> donors' page is not ok for that. I understand the rationale behind it,
> but what are the other options?
>
> 1. Include ref in the code?

I think that is fine.

> 2. Make a special section on QGIS website mentioning companies and
> stuff we worked on for their funding? If they insist on being
> mentioned at all.

I think the problem we had with ideas like this is that it creates the
idea that companies who donate money are some how more important than
individuals who donate their time. However I dont have a big problem
with having a 'funded features' page and it may be a good way to
stimulate more such funding.

> 3. New page along with donors and sponsors in Help\About?

In help->about->contributors we currently have faunalia listed. I
guess on that basis we could add other companies.

> 4. Plugin's About page?

Yes I think we discussed before to have a single consolidated plugins
about page so that we dont have plugin->about menu items scattered all
over the ui.

> 5. Web pages of various sorts for plugins themselves?

I think when plugins become official e.g. fTools they just get
documented as part of QGIS docs. Otherwise plugin writers should
maintain their own pages (on the QGIS wiki even if they like).

> What is our (QGIS) strategy to deal with such requests? Are they valid
> at all?
>
> Maxim

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services