[Qgis-psc] Motion: move to GIT and Redmine

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Apr 6 01:25:25 PDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Hi PSC. I would like to send this message below to the developer list
>> and push the idea of GIT & redmine migration. I thought it might be
>> nice to first poll the psc and see if this idea has majority support
>> within the PSC (if it does I would amend the email below to indicate
>> as much). If it doesn't and any PSC member has specific objection to
>> this proposal can we please discuss here? As such would you please
>> indicate:
>>
>> a) are you in favour of a migration to GIT
>> b) are you happy for me to get the ball rolling by sending out the email below.
>>
>> Obviously +1 from me on both counts.
>
> Hi Tim
>
> I think it would be good to address migration to Git and Redmine separately.

Actually my first draft was a Git only proposal, but as I wrote it I
realised we will lose trac integration  to the code repository. That
gives two options:

- trac git plugin (I've never tried it)
- redmine (I've used it)

If trac-git plugin works we could consider it too. But then we are
still left with two issue trackers - one for plugins and one for QGIS.
I think it would be good to unify this and also via redmine we could
compartmentalise trackers for e.g. documentation, qgis web client etc.

That said I'd be happy to rewrite my message as a git only proposal,
though I suspect if we do people will inevitably raise 'but what will
happen with trac' questions.

> And actually I wonder what are the benefits of migration to Redmine. I
> understand that we would have everything "under one roof" though
> personally I'm quite happy with trac: it works well and we have
> virtually no admin overhead for it since it is administered centrally.
> I would be interested to see a comparison of pros/cons for Trac vs
> Redmine.

I dont know of an exhasutive list but I have switched all my personal
and customer trackers to redmine because:

- the redmine interface is clean and modern and easy to use
- redmine supports multiple and heirachical projects and users can be
assigned different access levels to individual projects. So for
example for my company each new client job I do I create a redmine
project and give my client access to only that project.
- redmine has a rich set of plugins to use
- redmine supports per project repository browsing and each can be a
different vcs.
- remine allows easily customisation via the admin gui e.g. to add
custom fields - no need to delve around in config files and tracadmin
command line.
- redmine has idea of subtasks and gui for relating one issue to another.

There are lots of other nice things about redmine. That aside though I
must say that my main interest is GIT migration and I could happily
live with trac for a few more years (ignoring the argument that
resource unification would be good).

> Regards
> Martin

 * QGIS programming services