[Qgis-psc] Motion: svn write access for Sergey Yakushev

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:12:39 PST 2011

Hi

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Should we consider moving things from being plugins to core
> functionality when we move them from 'outside' into trunk? My
> rationale for this is:
>
> - if the tool is not cross-cutting (widely useful) it should not be in trunk
> - if it is in trunk it should be incorporated into the general ui so
> that it feels integrated
> - we can reduce plugin menu clutter and make tools feel a more natural
> part of QGIS

I completely agree with Tim. There are several plugins within trunk
that nowadays are still plugins just from the historical point of
view. Stuff like loading of WFS / GPS layers or adding some
decorations to canvas should be regular parts of the application.
Basically all of the c++ plugins that we ship could be moved to
appropriate parts of qgis sources - the key is to improve the
integration with the rest of GUI. Additionally we would probably save
some time during QGIS startup because it will not have to load further
modules.

> Not sure how the above applies to python plugins though....

It applies to python plugins too. They can get better integrated into
QGIS GUI in the same way as c++ plugins. The difference is that
keeping some piece of functionality as a plugin has the advantage that
updates can be released independently from qgis releases.

Regards
Martin