[Qgis-psc] QGIS forum

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Tue Jul 12 15:11:58 PDT 2011

Maxim,

Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2011, 22.57:41 schrieb Maxim Dubinin:
> I'd  argue  that  rather  then  trying to educate people using one or
> another  support  platform  we  should aim to provide all main options
> among which forum is definitely one, very viable and used almost
> everywhere.
>
> Remember,  we're talking about user tools here, not developer ones. We
> don't want three different bug-trackers, but we do want people to use
> the  tool  they  like  (or got used too for whatever reasons) to start
> trying QGIS and asking around.

It's not about educating people, it's about giving better support and bringing
users closer to development. This has advantages for both sides.

> We    cannot    impose  overhead  of having stackexchange knowledge or
> lack of anonymity on the mailing list on a user to
> get  QGIS+support, while he probably spent months on different forums,
> and he will grasp it immediately.

There is absolutely no overhead of stackexchange compared to a forum.
And as stated in the original discussion, we would give users a link to the
nabble forum view of the mailing list.

> My  midnight  rant  was just to say lets show user all support options
> and let user  decide,  which one he prefers. I'm afraid message like that
> might leave user thinking that he is not welcome on the forum, I would
> avoid that.

We should give users the best possible support. Too many choices can also
confuse them.

Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions