[Qgis-psc] donations and GRASS plugin

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Sep 15 10:07:33 PDT 2011

Il 15/09/2011 17:06, Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:
> Hi Paolo
>
> The problem with the GRASS plugin exists since a long time.
> I think it is quite simple: there is not enough interest in the plugin.
>
> From community side, no one volunteers to be maintainer and to invest a lot of
> time in it. From user side, no one invests more than 100 euro in it.
>
> That said, I'm not against using the donated money for the plugin. I'm just
> wondering if we get very far with it. And if it wouldn't be better spent for
> the next dev meeting (the targeted 100 euro excluded).

Hi Marco.
I agree, and that's why I started thinking to drop the plugin sooner or later. The
problem is that IMHO without that QGIS will become an unsuitable choice for many
power users (yes, I know they should think about that and start actively supporting
it), so dropping it would probably not be a good strategic move.
Another option is to migrate GRASS to the new Analytical framework, an exciting
perspective especially because in this way we could pipe the result of one backend
into a different one, but again this has to be supported somehow.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu